- Course Code: UKFEC16MSE
- Location: Online
- Duration: 10 hours
- Cost: £299.00
- Qualification: Medical secretary Diploma
- Course Access: Lifetime
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices / browsers
Medical Secretary Diploma
A medical secretary is a very important person in any practice in the United Kingdom. You are the first point of contact for a patient, you are responsible for taking appointments and ensuring you provide the doctor with the backup that they need to provide the best level of patient care on a daily basis. You may have a passion for caring for people, you may want to try a different avenue in your career or you may be looking for a chance to put your organisational skills to the test.
Introduction to Medical Secretary Diploma
The medical secretary diploma is an information packed course designed to provide you with valuable insights, information and skills you will need to complete your job on a daily basis in the medical industry. This course is studied online using any device, as long as you have access to the internet. The benefit to this is that you can study from anywhere at any time.
Due to the fact that you study this diploma online, you can study at your own pace and can choose to study full time at home and complete the course within days or you can work full time, study in the evenings and take your time to complete the course and pass the test with ease and confidence.
During your study experience, you will have access to online support. In addition to this, all your modules will be available to you 24/7. This means if you ever want to revisit the course and refresh your memory, you will be able to go back and enjoy each module all over again with ease.
Once you have successfully completed the course, you will need to pass the multiple choice test and on passing you will be able to download and print your certificate immediately. What you will enjoy is that all certificates are verifiable and potential employers can visit the website and type in the certificate number to confirm your credentials.
What you will learn
This course will provide you with the knowledge and insight you need to secure a secretarial position in the medical industry. If you are looking for a new avenue to use your skills or you are looking for a career that will provide you with a rewarding experience, then you may want to read on to identify what you can learn by completing the medical secretary diploma online.
- Identify what a medical secretary does, what your duties will entail each day, the job profile and the attributes needed.
- Get insider tips on how to manage appointment bookings, why scheduling is so important, setting reminders and more.
- Learn the filing systems used in medical offices, tips to setting up an effective filing system, along with the different filing systems you may choose to use to make your day more productive.
- Understand the importance of patient confidentiality. This module will give you an insight into patient confidentiality and what it involves, along with the difference between patient confidentiality and patient privacy.
- Learn the importance of medical records. In this module you will learn the purpose and benefits that medical records provide.
- Identify the different medical jargon and terminology so that you are not left behind.
- Learn about the information technology used in the medical profession along with basic computer use to electronic prescriptions, patient registrations and more.
- Get an understanding on why information technology is so important in the medical profession.
- Learn management for medical records.
- Understand the importance of health and safety in the workplace.
- Learn about supplies and inventory management.
- Identify what communication skills you will need to be an effective medical secretary.
This medical secretary diploma is guaranteed to provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to manage your career effectively. This course will provide you with a host of benefits, these include:
- Study online at your own pace and in your own time.
- Study using any device – computer, laptop, tablet or phone.
- Industry recognised certificate issued on successful completion and passing of the course.
- Certificate is verifiable.
- The course is broken into easy to learn and manage modules which are brimming with essential and useful information.
- Lifetime access to modules.
- Online support during studies.
- Who is a medical secretary?
- Job role and duties
- Overview of attributes and skills
- Job profile
- Why appointment scheduling is crucial to medical offices
- Guidelines for successful appointment scheduling
- Tips and strategies to make appointments for new patients and established patients
- Types of appointment reminders
- Importance of filing in medical offices
- Effects of using an unreliable or inefficient filing system
- Guidelines to set up a medical filing system
- Alphabetic, numeric and geographical filing systems
- Importance of patient confidentiality
- The concept of patient confidentiality and what it entails
- Difference between patient privacy and confidentiality
- Factors that increase breach of confidentiality in a medical office
- Importance of medical records
- Form and content
- Guidelines to create medical records
- Difference between medical records and health records
- What is medical terminology?
- Importance of medical terminology for non-clinical staff
- Pathology and X-rays
- Important medical terms that you should be familiar with
- Understanding the basic operation of a computer
- Electronic prescriptions
- Patient Registration
- Patient Administration system
- Importance of information technology and software in the healthcare industry
- Basic components of a computer workstation
- Computer applications for non-clinical staff
- Word processing, spreadsheets, internet and intranet
- Medical records in clinics and hospitals
- Types of physical filing systems for medical files
- Guidelines for good record keeping
- Tips to maintain paper medical records
- Importance of health and safety in the healthcare sector
- Types of risks and hazards
- Guidelines and tips to reduce hazards
- Clinical waste disposal
- Definition of inventory
- Manual inventory systems for smaller medical offices
- Tips for medical inventory management
- Different types of medical inventory
- Greeting new and established patients
- Etiquette in the reception area; patient information booklets
- Managing incoming and outgoing telephone calls
- Managing incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Nonverbal communication and body language (kinesics)
- Facial expressions, gestures, posture and eye contact
- Professional dress code in medical offices
- Cross-cultural capabilities and communication skills
- History of medical ethics
- Importance and relevance of medical ethics
- Principles and aspects of medical ethics
- Regulatory bodies that govern medical ethics
- Medical coding and billing process
- Patient check-in
- Medical coding procedures
- Patient checkout
- Review of duties and skills required
- Education, training and development
- Job prospects and hours of work
- Medical secretary interview questions
Simply one of the best investments I’ve made in my ongoing professional development
Amazing course, easy to understand and very straight forward. It gives you a chance to review previous modules, also you are able to take notes and save them in your course profile, where you can check them at any time.
Along with the course, you get rewards for completing your course modules. It opens the door to a chance of doing something you like or changing your career, also for people that just want to get new skills in different areas.
Do it at your own pace from your own home, I usually do it on my days off. Totally worth it, I recommend it.
Sara Correia – Manchester
Written in an easily understandable way, no hidden fees and mobile friendly
My dream has come true. Eventually I found this online course after searching for years in my area where none of the colleges provided it and it is necessary to get my dream job.
I got an incredible discount and what I like the best I got a lifetime access to the course, so there is no rush and I can revisit any time to revise as well.
Excellent support and immediate response to emails, I am very pleased. The course material is written in an easily understandable way, no hidden fees and mobile friendly so I can learn anywhere.
Zsuzsanna Horak – Skelmersdale
I’m finally enjoying education again!
WOW! At first I wasn’t sure about where my career path would take me so thought I’d try a course …well I have just signed up for my next one and so many others that appeal. I’d highly recommend giving this academy a go.
So many courses to choose from, I’m finally enjoying education again! You are in total control of your course, I love the fact that I can study at my own pace and with no end date it really is fantastic.
Plus gaining awards for completing tasks, for example logging on 2 days in a row, is a brilliant incentive towards the next course.
Margaret Johnston – Nottingham
How online learning can benefit you..
Who can take the Medical Secretary Certification course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 16 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 16 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 16 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Medical Secretary Certification course?We estimate that the course will take about 10 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.
Can I apply for an NUS card?Yes. All New Skills Academy students can apply for an NUS card. Details of how to do so will be available in your account once your order has been processed.